Wednesday, October 31

Banana Walnut Bran Muffins + Hello Again



Before we had Esther, I convinced myself that my life as a new parent wouldn't change all that much.  I had grand expectations of cooking, baking and blogging away while my precious child soundly napped three hours each afternoon.  From the lack of updates on said blog, that obviously hasn't been the case.  I miss blogging.  I miss planning and photographing meals and shopping for fun ingredients.  I realize that from here on out, my posts may not be as long and thoughtful as I would like them to be.  Heck, they may sometimes just be quick shots taken on my iphone as I scarf down my breakfast.  Sigh.  However, if only for my own sanity, I will pledge to spend more time writing and thinking about food.  I have missed that and I have missed all of you.

I decided to make these muffins after getting sick of staring at two bananas ripen on our kitchen counter.  I also just wanted our house to smell like something was baking.  These muffins are healthy, yet moist.  They're made with whole wheat flour and oat bran, but also plenty of butter.  They taste hearty and grainy, in the best possible way.  They're my kind of muffins.

Banana Walnut Bran Muffins
makes 18-20

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups oat bran
1 tsp kosher salt
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup full-fat yogurt or sour cream
2 eggs
1 cup mashed banana (or 2 bananas)
1/2 cup honey
6 Tbsp butter, melted

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Line muffin tins with paper cups (or generously grease the tins).

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, oat bran, salt, baking soda, walnuts and sugar.  In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients.  Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix with a rubber spatula until the dough just comes together and all of the flour is incorporated.  Portion the batter between the prepared muffin tins and bake for 15 minutes or until just done.  Do not over bake.

Toasted walnuts and overripe bananas make these muffins delicious.
I want to thank all of the Kingfield market patrons, vendors, volunteers and staff for another great season.  I miss you all already.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy the family life! Hopefully things ease up a little so you have more time to indulge. The muffins look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    We've recently launched the site RecipesUS.com, where users can search through hundreds of thousands of recipes from American food sites and blogs. We noticed that you have a lot of delicious recipes on your blog and we would like to suggest you have a look at our site: http://www.recipesus.com/.

    If you want to add your food blog to the list and have your recipes indexed on RecipesUS.com, all you have to do is follow these instructions: http://www.recipesus.com/add-your-food-blog.

    Hopefully your food blog will be up there in the top!

    Kind regards,
    Senka
    info@recipesus.com

    ReplyDelete