Tuesday, August 10

Backyard Wonders



Nothing says summer like a homegrown tomato.  They just taste better.  As a gardening novice,  I decided to plant one pot of cherry tomatoes this summer and have been thrilled with the results.   This plant has been rapidly producing shiny, red, juicy, sweet fruit with surprisingly little effort and no chemicals.  Happily, Dave and I have been devouring them as fast as we can pick them.  As an alternative to the joy that comes from popping them in my mouth straight off the vine, I've found that sauteing the tomatoes in a cast iron skillet is a brilliant way to bring out their sweet flavor.  A little olive oil, salt and pepper and some chopped fresh herbs is all you need to make a beautiful, quick and easy tomato jam. Cooked just until they blister and soften into a gorgeous red mash, the possibilities for this dish are endless: Tossed with freshly boiled pasta and grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, spooned over grilled chicken, mounded atop crusty toasts that have been rubbed with raw garlic, pureed into a chunky tomato soup, poured over a creamy ball of burrata, or simply eaten as-is with a second sprinkling of chopped herbs.  All simple flavors, all delicious and all tasting of summertime.

Fresh pick of the day.
A little olive oil into a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
Toss in tomatoes, salt, pepper and chopped fresh herbs - I like a mix of basil, thyme and parsley.
Cook until the tomatoes burst open and become juicy.
Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment