Granola has never been one of my favorites. I want to like granola, but I generally find commercial brands to be overpacked with oats, too sugary and quite boring. I always yearn for more nuts, less sugar, a bit more salt and generally, more flavor. Until recently, the idea of making my own granola never really sparked an interest in me. Now that I've tried it I can say that I'm seriously hooked and can't believe I had never made it before. It may be the most versatile recipe ever. You can add whatever you like. In mine, I kept the traditional rolled oats but balanced them out with pistachios and slivered almonds. I love my seeds so flax, sesame, sunflower and pumpkin seeds all went into the mix. Some fleur de sel for that salty bite I crave and a pinch of instant espresso powder for the slightest coffee flavor. Pure maple syrup, honey and a bit of fruity olive oil brings it all together. My husband isn't a huge dried fruit fan, but currants or dried cherries would be delicious mix-ins. Bake in the oven, allow it to cool and there you have it, delicious granola just the way I like it. Finally.
Granola
makes about 5 cups
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup pistachios, shelled
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup pepitas
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1 Tbsp flax seed meal
1 tsp fleur de sel or kosher salt
1/4 tsp instant espresso powder
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
In a small sauce pot, heat the honey, maple syrup and olive oil over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until the mixture thins and combines.
Meanwhile, mix the rest of the ingredients together in a large bowl. When the syrup mixture is ready, pour it over the granola mixture and toss to combine. Spread the granola evenly onto a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes, turning it every 15 minutes to ensure even browning.
When the granola is finished, allow it to cool completely in the pan. Store the cooled granola in an airtight container at room temperature.
| Making your own granola... it is almost too easy. |
| Spread the sticky granola into a thin layer for even browning in the oven. |
| Toasted oats, seeds and nuts. |
| Perfect for snacking. |
No comments:
Post a Comment