Thursday, February 9

Toasted Marshmallow Milkshake

What is there to say about food cravings?  Not much, other than that when cravings are strong they are strong.  Especially for me.  Being pregnant (yes, in 4 short months there will be a mini Bogart in our midst) the cravings have been adding up. They started out horrifyingly overwhelming and, coupled with a few nasty months of nausea, seemed to take over my world.  Suddenly the peppery arugula, delicate quinoa, sweet tomatoes and other fare I once happily indulged in were ousted to make room for honey-baked ham, grilled cheese sandwiches, french fries, gummy bears and milkshakes.  Lots of milkshakes.  I came across this recipe some time ago and have kept it tucked away.  I'm so glad that I did.  Toasted marshmallows, rich vanilla gelato, a dollop of yogurt and a splash of cream.  All whirled into a beautifully cold, creamy and decadent shake.  Poured into a glass, topped with a few more marshmallows and accompanied with a straw. These days, my nausea has faded and, for the most part, I've regained my love for all of the healthier foods I once craved. However, this milkshake is something I'm afraid I'll always yen for, pregnant or not.

Toasted Marshmallow Milkshake
adapted from this recipe
makes 1

5 jumbo marshmallows
4 generous scoops of vanilla bean gelato or premium ice-cream
2 heaping Tbsp full-fat greek yogurt
a large splash of heavy cream

If you have a gas burner, carefully toast the marshmallows over the flame using a kabob skewer or other long stick.  Be careful not to burn.  If you don't have a gas stove, place the marshmallows on a foil-lined baking sheet and toast under the broiler until golden on top.  Transfer toasted marshmallows to a bowl and set aside.

In a blender, combine gelato, yogurt and cream.  Blend until smooth.  Add three toasted marshmallows and pulse until just combined.

Pour the milkshake into a glass and top with the remaining two toasted marshmallows. Enjoy with a spoon or straw.

Toasted marshmallows make this shake gooey, sweet and smokey.

Use really good gelato or ice-cream for decadent vanilla flavor.
Dunk the toasted marshmallows into the shake, slurp the shake, repeat.  Heaven.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I've had the same recipe bookmarked for months, and your pictures have convinced me to make it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kirsten! Great minds think alike, I guess! You won't be sorry, it's so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds exactly like my pregnancy experience; suddenly I had the palate of a two-year old. And the milkshakes -- oh yes. Your toasted marshmallow version sounds awesome. For some reason I tended toward milkshakes made with maraschino cherries. So, so weird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gretchen - Thanks for the comment. Love that you loved maraschino cherries. It's nice to hear that others went through the same thing I did!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! That looks so delicious, as do all of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete