Thursday, November 4

Table Pour Une


When I know that my husband will be away, I often daydream about what I will eat when I am home alone.  It's not that I don't love the company of my husband, because I certainly do, it's just that every once in a while it is fun to eat whatever you want, whenever you want it.  This is especially true when I have the time and patience to cook myself a proper dinner.  Dave was out of town recently so I decided to make one of my favorites, croque monsieur.  This sandwich is definitely one of the first things I think of when I am craving something melty, rich and French.  I make mine with a cheesy bechamel sauce, sweetly smoked ham and crusty sourdough bread.  A smear of dijon mustard brings a sharp spiciness, nutty Gruyere brings the melt factor and Parmigiano Reggiano lends a rich, salty bite.  Paired with a green salad and a glass of white wine, this humble yet flavorful French sandwich is perfect for a decadent, solo night on the couch.  Comforting, gooey, warm and filling. Sometimes being home alone isn't so bad.

BTW:  Add a fried egg to the top of this sandwich and you'll have yourself a croque madame! 


Croque Monsieur
Makes 2 sandwiches
(Adapted from Barefoot in Paris:  Easy French Food You Can Make at Home, by Ina Garten)

1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 heaping Tbsp flour
1 cup whole milk, warmed
kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper
1 1/2 cups Gruyere cheese, coarsely grated
1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, coarsely grated
4 pieces of crusty, sourdough bread, toasted
2 tsp dijon mustard
4-6 slices good quality smoked ham
handful of fresh parsley, coarsely chopped

Position an oven rack close to the broiler.  Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.  Set aside.

In a small sauce pot over low heat, melt the butter.  Once the butter is fully melted, add the flour and stir the butter and flour continuously for about two minutes or until the flour is slightly toasted.  Slowly add the warm milk, whisking out any lumps that may form.  Continue whisking until the mixture has thickened.  The sauce is thick enough when it easily coats the back of a spoon.  Remove the sauce from the heat and add in 1 cup of the grated Gruyere and the Parmigiano Reggiano.  Stir the cheeses in until melted.  Season sauce with salt and pepper to taste.  Set sauce aside.

Place two of the toasted bread slices on the prepared sheet pan.  Smear the two toasts with the dijon mustard.  Divide the ham and arrange it on top of the mustard.  Sprinkle half of the remaining Gruyere (1/4 cup) over the ham.  Place the two remaining toasts on top to form two sandwiches.  Liberally spread the cheese sauce over the two prepared sandwiches.  (It is perfectly fine if the cheese sauce drips onto the sheet pan).  Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup Gruyere over the cheese sauce.  Turn on your oven broiler and broil the sandwiches for 4-6 minutes or until they are toasty warm and browned on top.

Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley.  Enjoy while warm.

Crusty sourdough from my favorite local bakery.  Its tang makes me long for the delicious, circular loaves made at Poilane .




Warm milk + butter + flour + lots of grated cheese = nutty, rich and salty bechamel sauce.

Crusy toasted bread spread with sharp dijon mustard.

Melted and brown, straight from the oven.

Delicious dinner for one.

No comments:

Post a Comment